There is nothing like coming home from the Farmer's Market with a basket full of fresh vegetables and herbs to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! It's one of my favorite times in our galley. I'm like an artist with a new art set. One of our fave's is my Chipotle Lime Pico de Gallo.
Oh, and really, you don't have to wait for the Farmer's Market...just please, get your produce in the organic section of your grocer.
5-10 Roma Tomatoes (firm)
2-5 Scallions (Green Onions)
2 Tbls. Cilantro
2 Tbls. Basil
1 Tbls. Oregano
1 Small Jalapeno Pepper
1 Lime (ripe)
1 Tbls. Minced Garlic
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Chipotle Seasoning (Slap Yo Mama!)
2 Tbls. Olive or Avocado Oil
Optional: Young Living Lime Essential Oil
Pair of food handling latex gloves
Medium Size Bowl
Sharp Chopping Knife
Wash all produce (10:1 water to vinegar ratio) and pat dry.
- If using fresh Basil and Cilantro, strip off leaves and course chop (throw away stems). We used just bought the Basil and Cilantro in tubes in the produce section of our grocer.
- Dice in small cubes Tomatoes.
- Slice Scallions into 1/8" slices.
- Mince Garlic.
- Put your gloves on and slice Jalapeno Pepper in half.
- Scrape out and throw away the meat and seeds of the pepper (I use my strawberry huller but a teaspoon will work fine too).
- Mince the good part of the pepper.
- Toss in the tomato mixture.
- Remove and throw away your gloves (you will thank me later...like in 5 minutes when you touch your eye or something...else...)
- Take your lime and roll it firmly on the counter with the palm of your hand to make it squishy without splitting it. This activates the essential oils from the rind and makes it easier to squeeze the juice out. Once its squishy enough, you want to zest most of the rind into the tomato mixture. After, halve the lime and squeeze as much juice that will extract (no seeds please!).
- Toss a few dashes of Salt and Pepper along with your level of comfort Chili Powder (Some like it not, hot or hotter!).
- Toss all of the above in a medium sized bowl with Apple Cider Vinegar and Olive or Avocado Oil.
- OPTIONAL: For a bit more natural lime flavoring, I added 4 drops of Young Living Lime Vitality Essential Oil.
Refrigerate at least an hour.
Serve with tortilla chips, on top of salads, on top of slice avocado, garnish Mexican dishes or um.....eat with a spoon. A side of sour cream sprinkled with fresh chives will help calm the heat. You can eat that with a spoon too! ENJOY!! By the way, you can pair it with our Guacamole on a Hole-y Roll-y.
Oh! And I wasn't kidding about eating it with a spoon!